Friday, September 5, 2008

Back Into The Swing of Things

I have been trying to get back into the swing of things since I got back, and this is what I have done so far...
.
This was for a blog challenge at To The Starres and Back... It was a 2 page sketch from Becky Fleck's Page Maps. I love how the stitching turned out, but it took me hours! lol Probably just because I started it the night I got back from the beach and was out of practice.
I used We R Memory Keepers paper, Bazzill, Dollar Tree ribbon, Bazzill flowers, Prima flower, and silk flower, Bazzill In Stitches template, MM brads, misc buttons, and my new Wayfarer Technique Tuesday stamps.
.
This is for One Little Word. The word this challenge was based on choice. The only thing I could think of was my choice to choose my husband.
I used Bazzill, October Afternoon pp, American Crafts ribbon, traced and handcut die cut sheets for my mats, Technique Tuesday stamps which I Stickled for the title, and another TT stamp for the journaling, Crate Paper rubon, Kaiser Crafts flowers and pearls.
I had to edit this photo, BIG TIME. Our photographer "forgot" to take any shots of just me and DH, I can't believe to tell you how upset I was. For this layout, I used my VERY basic photoshop skills and "colored" our pastor out. Not only did she forget any of just us, she didn't compensate for the bad lighting, background, or shadows. I can never have that back. Here is the original...
.
This is for The Story Matters. The challenge was to share someone interesting in my family tree. I am a distant relation of James Longstreet, who was a general in the Civil War, for the Confederacy. Though I do not share his views, I am still proud. This one was hard to embellish, since I wanted to try to keep it looking old. I used Bazzill, October Afternoon, ribbon scraps (unknown), Felt Fusion, stripped chipboard letters which I inked from Target's Dollar spot, and computer journaling.
Journaling reads...General James Longstreet fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War under the leadership of Robert E Lee. James Longstreet was a relative of my Great Great Grandmother on my mom's side. Our side of the Longstreet clan fled north to Minnesota and Canada during the Civil War. It may be a distant relation, but it is a relation just the same. Longstreet was at the fitrst major battle of the war in Manassas VA, and was there with Lee for the official surrender at Appomattox Courthouse in VA. Lee gave him a nickname, "Old War Horse"..
I still have tons to do, challenge-wise, and a challenge to come up with for the DT. I still haven't looked for a job, but plan to start that on Monday. I will work through the weekend to get this stuff done, and of course will share it all with you! Thanks for reading!
.

5 comments:

tigardlilly said...

great layouts!

Scrappy Girl said...

Love all the layouts especially the black/white one. Cool! Sounds like you have a scrappy weekend planned. We are going shopping for Manga Dork's birthday party outfit with 3 of her friends and one of mine! Happy Weekend!

Erica Hettwer said...

I love the title on the second layout! It's awesome! I'm gonna have to scraplift that! :D

Lynn said...

Awesome layout for OLW!

Lynn
OLW

Penny Smith said...

THIS is awesome!! Great stuff! LOVE to read these histories!! VERY cool!